Pages

12.18.2008

FAIR WEATHER: Trends and Coincidences-"We Are the Borg"

Miami Art Fairs, Art Basel Miami Beach, Aqua, Art Miami, Bridge, Pulse, Red Dot, Scope, Rubell Collection
Already posted:




At ABMB: Anish Kapoor sculpture at Lisson Gallery, London



Well, of course they're not the Borg. I mean no disrespect to the artists by referencing science fiction, but these geometric forms are so compelling--and occasionally so otherworldly--that I wanted to show them as a group. (Can you tell I'm a closet curator?)

With geometric form as the starting point, mathematical calculation and meticulous construction were very much in evidence. There were also a number of optical surprises. When you looked into the red Anish Kapoor sculpture above, for instance, you weren't sure whether you were looking into it, or if it was bulging outward, or if it was simply flat across. You can't tell from the picture either, can you? (It's a bowl.) And the Chris Duncan orb below is actually flat circle whose geometric pattern is worked in perspective.




At Pulse: Chris Duncan at Jeff Bailey Gallery, New York








.
.
.
.
.

At ABMB: Mona Hatoum sculpture at Galleria Continua, San Gimigniano, Italy

Visible through the orb is Ai Wei Wei sculpture, below


ABMB: Ai Wei Wei illuminated glass-bead cube at Galerie Urs Meile, Lucerne and Beijing
Detail below




ABMB: Artist unidentified at Stuart Shave/Modern Art, London



Scope: Jose Vielva at StuArt Gallery, Santiago, Chile
Of all the sculptures I saw, this is the one I found most compelling, a confluence of math, science, architecture and art





ABMB: More from Anish Kapoor at Lisson Gallery, London




Bridge, Wynwood: Norman Mooney cast aluminum Star at Chi Contemporary, Brooklyn
.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Joanne, Thanks for these reviews. I am really enjoying them.

Anonymous said...

Joanne, I'm so glad you're doing this. I don't feel like I missed out by not being there; I can peruse it all from the comfort of home! You could temporarily rename the blog Armchair Art Fair. And congrats on your show (and review) in Boston. You're the happeningest.

Oriane

Erwin Keustermans said...

Re: "Of all the sculptures I saw, this is the one I found most compelling, a confluence of math, science, architecture and art"
Maybe you would like to consider this too then: spin and arrest-array by Anna Hepler.

Joanne Mattera said...

Oriane,
I love that title. Thanks. Check the blog subhead now.

Erwin,
Thanks for the link to Anna Helper's site the sculptures are wonderful. Folks, the links are above.

Anonymous said...

You're most welcome. You're also the acknowledgingest! I feel like my name is up there in lights!

xx

O