Pages

5.06.2009

Milhazes in the Window

.

Lately it seems as if the James Cohan Gallery is showing all Milhazes all the time. I'm not complaining. The work is joyful and visually intoxicating. I tried to photograph the installation in the small window-facing gallery, but some guy with a giant head was chatting up a collector type--blah, blah, blah--and they just wouldn't budge from their spot in front of the work. So I shot above their heads to get the two pics you see here.



Then I went to the gallery website and found a nice installation shot, which I have taken the liberty of reproducing here. I guess more than anything else I've seen in the past few weeks, this work personifies the new season--well, the season that arrived but has been in hiding for the past few days. Spring!


Gamboa, 2008, iron and mixed media, 27.6 in tall x 45.7 in diameter
Image from the gallery website
.

3 comments:

Barbara Ann Levy Gallery said...

This is obvious eye candy.

Our economy has seriously impacted the art world. The fact that this gallery only shows this artist's work speaks volumes to me about the economy: one artist=one risk.

martin said...

i am appreciating this piece more in your photos than i did when i was at the gallery. thanks joanne.

Anonymous said...

i think this is a very lame piece by a good artist. i blame the gallery for this. decorative in a bad way, doesnt make the gallery or artist look very good. silly. looks like it could be in a window of a department store not good.