Three Walls

Forrest Myers Wall, photographed from the NYU campus just north of Houston and west of Broadway, above and below
One day in mid June, on one of those many overcast days we had in the city, I photographed two minimalist walls in Manhattan. The Forrest Myers Wall , recently restored to its original spot at the corner of Houston and Broadway, is clean and new--a literal bright spot on a gray day.

A few blocks away, there's a repainted wall at the corner of Houston and Wooster. I don't remember seeing that black rectangle before. I assume it's a prepared backdrop for an ad, but its proportions are so perfect for the building that it could be art.
Then a few weeks ago I was in DUMBO for a studio visit with Richard Bottwin ( post to come) and photographed the long gridded mural under the bridge, a community-supported project by an artist named Tattfoo Tan, called NMS-Nature Matching System, which was inspired by the color of fresh fruits and vegetables.

Your ad here? Until then, I love this black wall at the corner of Houston and Wooster

DUMBO is the acronym for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass, a quaint but incredibly noisy area in Brooklyn that looks across to lower Manhattan. This mural is about as down under the overpass as you can get

Above: A closer view, with green-market hues



Debra Ramsay said...

Love it! Nice capture of these gems. Ahh, what a great city. Thanks for reminding me.

Joanne said...

Art can truly been seen and experienced everywhere :) I love the squares on the walls. It gives the city something extra special.

Stephanie Clayton said...

quite eye-catching, that mural under the overpass...art, or at least inspiration, is indeed everywhere.

i'm drawn to architectural photos; these are wonderful. third pic is captivating: turquoise rectangles and one very large black rectangle on the side of that building...oh, and that pop of orange (sign).

layers said...

I just discovered your blog and see that we have a few things in common.
Even though I paint acrylic collage in subdued colors I just realized I have your book! I took two encaustic workshops but have yet to incorporate it into my work. I listen to both Keith Obermann and Rachel Maddow on MSNBC. I have visited NYC a number of times to see my artist son who works for Jeff Koons. I love the buildings, the cracked sidewalks, the graffiti the galleries, museums and any type of contemporary art whether it be painting, video or installation.

Carol Diehl said...

Love these!