Pages

8.12.2009

Three Walls

.
Forrest Myers Wall, photographed from the NYU campus just north of Houston and west of Broadway, above and below
.
.
One day in mid June, on one of those many overcast days we had in the city, I photographed two minimalist walls in Manhattan. The Forrest Myers Wall , recently restored to its original spot at the corner of Houston and Broadway, is clean and new--a literal bright spot on a gray day.

A few blocks away, there's a repainted wall at the corner of Houston and Wooster. I don't remember seeing that black rectangle before. I assume it's a prepared backdrop for an ad, but its proportions are so perfect for the building that it could be art.
.
Then a few weeks ago I was in DUMBO for a studio visit with Richard Bottwin ( post to come) and photographed the long gridded mural under the bridge, a community-supported project by an artist named Tattfoo Tan, called NMS-Nature Matching System, which was inspired by the color of fresh fruits and vegetables.




Your ad here? Until then, I love this black wall at the corner of Houston and Wooster


DUMBO is the acronym for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass, a quaint but incredibly noisy area in Brooklyn that looks across to lower Manhattan. This mural is about as down under the overpass as you can get


Above: A closer view, with green-market hues

.

5 comments:

Debra Ramsay said...

Love it! Nice capture of these gems. Ahh, what a great city. Thanks for reminding me.

Joanne said...

Art can truly been seen and experienced everywhere :) I love the squares on the walls. It gives the city something extra special.

Stephanie Clayton said...

quite eye-catching, that mural under the overpass...art, or at least inspiration, is indeed everywhere.

i'm drawn to architectural photos; these are wonderful. third pic is captivating: turquoise rectangles and one very large black rectangle on the side of that building...oh, and that pop of orange (sign).

layers said...

I just discovered your blog and see that we have a few things in common.
Even though I paint acrylic collage in subdued colors I just realized I have your book! I took two encaustic workshops but have yet to incorporate it into my work. I listen to both Keith Obermann and Rachel Maddow on MSNBC. I have visited NYC a number of times to see my artist son who works for Jeff Koons. I love the buildings, the cracked sidewalks, the graffiti the galleries, museums and any type of contemporary art whether it be painting, video or installation.

Carol Diehl said...

Love these!