Pages

12.10.2007

FAIR FACTOR: Ink


Ink Fair at the Dorchester Hotel


Prints tend to get overlooked at the larger fairs, so a specialized venue was a smart move on the part of these presses and print galleries. If you’re not a print person, or a work-on-paper person, you may not find the time to get to this fair. Take an hour. That’s what I did for the first time this year. The rooms are small, each with a well-edited selection of work. I liked what I saw. Next year I’m going to schedule more time so that I can learn more about processes like spitbite, carborundum aquatint and digital relief. (Woodblock and silkscreen, I understand.)

Here’s some work I liked:


Louise Fishman at Van Straaten Riverhouse Editions, Steamboat Springs, Colorado


Sam Gilliam digital relief at Tandem Press, Madison, Wisconsin



Stephen Westfall woodblock at Durham Press, Durham, Pa


Richard Tuttle at Crown Point Press, San Francisco



Barbara Takenaga five-color lithograph at Shark's Ink, Lyons, Colorado

Polly Apfelbaum woodblock at Durham Press