Pages

1.03.2012

Soie
An Online Solo at Structural Madness

.. Soie 17, 2010, gouache on Arches 140, 22 x 30 inches

Soie, a recent series of gouache-on-paper paintings, was on view the month of January at Structural Madness, a virtual New York City gallery with a geometric point of view. It was my first cyber solo. While the show is over as a featured exhibition on the gallery's homepage, it remain on line. You can see it by clicking onto the gallery name, above.

While the grid has been the underpinning of my own structural madness for some time, Soie was the very first in a series of works in which I turned the square on its axis. The geometry of the shape is at odds with the freehand nature of its execution, equipoise and fluidity afloat on a cream-colored field.

The solo comes at a wonderful time for me. I am a co-curator, with Mary Birmingham, of a 28-artist exhibition, Textility, at the Visual Art Center of New Jersey in Summit. Textility looks at contemporary art that has a conceptual or material connection to cloth. As a curator, I have not included my work, which otherwise might have been appropriate.

Soie, is up through January 31; you can visit it any time during the month. Textility is up through April 1, and I'll be writing about it occasionally over the next couple of months.

Structural Madness is curated by painter Gloria Klein.