Pages

10.23.2007

27th Street Up Close


Not a gallery: Unexpected beauty on 27th Street between 10th and 11th Avenues
.
Back when I used to run, before the herniated disc put an end to
.
that, my morning route took me through the low 20s in Far West
.
Chelsea. It was before the galleries moved in. I always loved
.
looking at the walls, and as I passed by I'd think, "Got to get back
.
here to phototograph them." Assuming I'd have time--why would
.
anything change in that outpost of the city?--I just never got around
.
to it. Then the old facades got scraped and painted, and the new
.
buildings went up. So when I was on 27th Street recently, I made
.
a point of shooting those lovely peels and crumbles, knowing they're
.
likely to be gone soon. Sigh.
.


Thinking of Serra, but these are layers of paint over concrete or cinderblock or brick
.

3 comments:

superbadfriend said...

These are gorgeous. One of my favorite books has the most beautiful peeling paint images. It is a book about Cuba, which I think you will appreciate. Will get the name for you soon.

Be well.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics!


Eva

Susan Moorhead said...

Love the serendipity of street art, just great.