Pages

1.02.2014

Fair Well: Some Figuration

Previous Miami posts
C'est What?


At ABMB: Enrique Martinez Celaya, The Forgotten, 2013, oil and wax on canvas, at Frederic Snitzer Gallery, Miami
Closer view below

I have to admit that I don't go to the fairs looking for figurative painting--certainly not the way I go looking for geometric abstraction, material- or process-based work, or abstraction in general. But I'm an equal-opportunity looker, so when I see a painting or sculpture that interests me, I stop, take in in, and then photograph it. That was the case with the painting you see here, which was one of the first things I photographed at Art Basel Miami Beach. I found it compelling. Thus primed for figuration, I kept my eyes open. I have to say, however, that figuration was not the preponderant expression at the fairs. In this post I offer en edited version of the best of what I saw




At ABMB: Rina Bannerjee, Her Turban Teased and Tortured: Her breath stunk of ink on silk and crusty nets tasted of meat and nectar, bees sprang to her with every cry, 2013, ink and acrylic on panel, 16 x 20 inches, at Galerie Nathalie Obadiam Paris and Brussels



At ABMB: Mickalene Thomas, I've Been Good to Me, 2013, rhinestone, acrylic and enamel on panel, at Lehman Maupin Gallery, New York City
Detail below



At ABMB: Manolo Valdes, Perfil XIII, 2013, collage, at Marlborough Gallery, New York City


At Aqua Art: Kesha Bruce, Sukko, mixed media on canvas, 16 x 16 inches, at Morton Fine Art, Washington, D.C.



At ABMB: Raffi Kalendarian, Shanti (Yellow Room), 2013, oil on canvas, at Susanne Vielmetter Los Angeles Projects, Culver City



At NADA: Karl Wirsum, Toot Toot Tutu Toodle-00, 2013, acrylic on canvas, left; Keith Mayerson portrait of Abraham Lincoln, at Derek Eller Gallery, New York City



At Aqua Art: Tim Okamura, Les Nubians, 2013, oil and mixed media on canvas, at Lyons Weir Gallery, New York City



At Aqua Art: 
Above, Susan Jamison, Devour My Tears, egg tempera on panel. 28 x 18 inches, at J. Fergeson Gallery, Farmville, Virginia

Below: Curious Walk, egg tempera on panel, 72 x 44 inches




At Miami Project: Christoph Ruchhaberle at Ziehersmith, New York City



At Art Miami: Grace Hartigan, Greta, 1983, oil on linen, at C. Grimaldis Gallery, Baltimore



At Aqua Art: Frank Hyder, illuminated collage prints at Projects Gallery, Philadelphia and Miami
Closer view below



At ABMB: Louise Bourgeois, Femme, 2005, cast bronze figure with silver patination, at Galerie Karsten Greve Ag St. Moritz 


Next up: A thematic post, Drape, coming this weekend

If you are enjoying these posts from Miami, please consider making a yearly donation of $20 to support my blog. The cost in money and time to attend and report on the fairs is significant for an artist with an ongoing studio practice. A link to PayPal is on the right sidebar close to the top of the page (look for the red type). Any amount is welcome. Thank you.

No comments: